I’m working on a new version of Controlled Feeding Status that will be cast in sterling silver! First test “print” just arrived and is looking hot. Next up: soldering and refinishing.
It’s the classic new media problem: you’ve got a cool show abroad, but will all your technology still work over there? I need to determine whether this board and this SIM card will be compatible in Hong Kong. This page suggests that 2G (a limit presented by the board) is still available in Hong Kong, and that the 900 band is still active. I suppose my fallback will be purchasing SIM cards when I arrive, but I’d like to avoid that. It may be cheaper, however, so maybe I’ll try both.
For this show on the topic of touch, Dieter Kirkwood and I made a generative Processing app that provided us with algorithmically generated dress pattern instructions. As we wrestled with the imperfect app, we followed certain instructions and ignored others, eventually creating three unique dress patterns in imperfect collaboration with our code.
Featuring work from D. Denenge Akpem, Eliza Bennett, Laci Coppins and Nakia Gordon, Alexandria Eregbu, Whitney Huber, Taylor Hokanson and Dieter Kirkwood, Cole Don Kelley, Barbara Layne, Hiro Murai for Flying Lotus, Tameka J. Norris, Betsy Odom, Scout Paré-Phillips, Jennifer Ray, Aileen Son, and Fo Wilson.
For the second Palimpsest series I scanned a new typewriter roller that contained highly legible text. By legible I mean the letter forms are easier to see (although the text content seems to be totally random). This sits in contrast to Series #1, where the nearly invisible letter forms contain recognizable words and phrases.
Dieter Kirkwood and I are building an OpenKnit this summer with financial support from Columbia College Chicago. OpenKnit is an awesome open-source project with a really generous instigator, so we’ve been emailing back and forth with project leader Gerard in Madrid to get things off the ground. We’ll be converting the BOM for Americans, making design improvements, and having a good time. All the data we generate will be redistributed online.
Fun fact! Gerard initially got a takedown notice for the video above because his project documentation included visible commercial logos. He contested and the video was restored. Fight the power!
Older versions of SHKB were dependent on a hacked keyboard logic circuit. For this rebuild I moved to an Arduino Leonardo. Programming behaviors from scratch gave me much more control. What’s more, the Leonardo is automatically identified by the computer as a keyboard, and there are plenty of related libraries to get you started. With this build I also moved to actual heavy duty switches as opposed to embedding strips of copper in my silicone casts. We’ll see how long they last…